You may know of Big Lake Arizona as the mecca of trout fishing. However, did you know that there is so much more to enjoy at this stunning location in the heart of Arizona?
The big lake in Arizona is known to be one of the best fishing lakes in the state. It’s nestled right next to the breathtaking White Mountains. Big Lake is famous due to its size, exotic wildlife, and great amenities. Currently, Big Lake is one of the most popular fishing destinations in the Arizona area. Continue reading to discover the best way to take advantage of the beautiful campgrounds located in the Big Lake region!
Arizona has one of the most spectacular landscapes in the USA. It’s a popular tourist destination because of its untouched and raw natural beauty spots. On top of this, the weather is great all year round, so it attracts many visitors escaping the cold winters. Famous sites in Arizona include the Grand Canyon National Park, Monument Valley, and the Red Rocks of Sedona. Beautiful, but not at the top of tourist attractions are the White Mountains; where you can experience the numerous lakes and expansive mountain ranges.
What’s So Big about Big Lake?
Located in the heart of Apache Country, Arizona, Big Lake has become a famous fishing destination for enthusiasts from all around the world. The fish are more likely to bite during spring (April and May) just after the lake has thawed from the previous winter. The lake is an impressive 575 acres and there are a variety of campground facilities located nearby. It is protected by the Apache-Sitgreaves National Forests and has become a famous wildlife retreat.
In Big Lake there is an abundance of Rainbow, Brook, and Cutthroat Trout. However, the bountiful fish is not the only drawcard for the area. The blue skies, mountain views, and fresh air also make the Big Lake area a well-loved tourist destination that draws people year after year.
Always Plenty To Do
If you’re not a fishing enthusiast, that’s no problem at all. There is so much more to enjoy at the Big Lake than just the amazing local catch! Here is a short list of fun things to do while visiting Big Lake.
- Biking: enjoy a leisurely ride with picturesque views or take your adventure to the next level with challenging mountain trails.
- Wildlife spotting: every year the Big Lake draws wildlife enthusiasts to marvel over their unique and diverse flora and fauna. You will often catch one or two birdwatchers looking out with their binoculars for rare birds native to the region.
- Escape from the city: many visitors enjoy getting away from the hustle and bustle of the modern world to relax and recharge. Big Lake is a popular destination for city slickers and working families from all around the country to unwind and get in touch with nature. The Big Lake is popular because of its tranquil nature but the abundance of fish. There is really something for everyone.
There is so much more to see and experience than just the Big Lake. Although there is definitely enough there to keep the entire family busy. While you’re visiting the Big Lake area consider making a visit to nearby sites. It’s a great opportunity to get off the beaten track and soak in some local history. Here are some of the most interesting and breathtaking spots to check out!
- Crescent Lake and Lee Valley: for all your trekking and fishing needs. At approximately 130 acres, there is plenty of room to catch those Rainbow Trout. This lakes sits at about 9,000 feet making it one of the highest elevated lakes in the White Mountains.
- Town of Springerville: take some time out of the wilderness to explore the beating heart of the Southwest. This is the closest township to the Big Lake and it was established in 1879. The history and architecture of the town will have you enamored for hours. It’s also a good opportunity to stock up on resources and grab a good coffee at the local store.
- Casa Malpais: a fascinating archaeological site for history enthusiasts and curious visitors. It’s located close to Springville and the place features fascinating objects. This includes an astronomical calendar, ancient stairways, and much more.
- White Mountain Historical Park – learn more about this fascinating area of Arizona and soak up some of the histories of the South West. These buildings have been restored by the White Mtn. Historical Society.
Due to its isolated location, there are no public transport options getting to the Big Lake. However, there are car and campervan rentals available in nearby towns. The area surrounding Big Lake is perfect for Fishing, hunting, and outdoor sports. Make sure you always check the National Parks website to keep informed on any legal or weather updates. Part of immersing yourself in the wilderness means being responsible for your and your families’ safety.
Here are the driving directions from Show Low, AZ.
So when you’re planning your next vacation, consider visiting Big Lake. It’s the perfect destination to get in touch with the local history and immerse yourself in the natural beauty of the wild west.
Follow the link below to learn more and to book your next trip to Big Lake Arizona, Visit Big Lake AZ.